Saturday, July 10, 2010

You are what you eat.

Ok, so the term biblically kosher is out. Yes, I try to refrain from consuming that which the bible says is abhorant to God. But is it possible that from time to time I misunderstand what the Torah is trying to say? I am sure there are times.

And yes I have read the pro-kashrut writings before and probably have a couple dozen books defending it on my shelf. But the argument is always the same with the pro kashrut crowd. Since we Hebrew ignorant gentiles cannot possibly understand what He meant, we must do it the Jewish way. Whatever that means.

Yet keeping kashrut is like that kids game where you try to pick the largest number. You say infinity, but the other kids says “Nope, infinity plus one!” There is always one more layer that you missed.

Now I’m not saying that trying to keep the biblical dietary laws is wrong. It is just that from my experience, when someone spends a lot of time on that, they usually are lacking somewhere else.

For instance, my wife and I used to attend a messianic congregation until they got mad at us for bringing store bought fried chicken for their potluck. Now, the main reason that we spent $100 on chicken was because we got tired of seeing people not get to eat because the majority of the attendees would bring almost nothing yet take enough food for three people. So we left and took the food to a shelter to help the needy, something we also never saw that congregation do.

Most people miss the point of the teaching of the good Samaritan. That it was a Cohen and a Levy that walked past the man in need because they were afraid he might make them unclean!

I had a congregational leader tell me that he stresses issues like kashrut and purity because he believes that our actions can motivate the heart. I agree that following His commands can lead to a heart change on some things. But only if there was a heart to begin with.

If we as messianics want to use Torah commands to effect a change in hearts, shouldn’t we start with those that our Messiah taught?: Love of God; love of man; caring for the widows, needy and orphans, etc.

Lead with good deeds and your heart will surely follow!

Shalom, Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment